[Clipart] organize repository and access rights

Jonadab the Unsightly One jonadab at bright.net
Tue Jul 13 16:57:09 PDT 2004

Alberto Simões <hashashin at gmail.com> writes:

> The RedHat... will we have the same issue as firefox logo?

If there's a RedHat logo, it could potentially have trademark issues.

IANAL, but the best I can gather is as follows:

If it's just a hat that happens to be red, it'll probably be fine (but
IANAL).  As precedent, there's a club called the Red Hat Club[1] that
has nothing to do with computers or software and even manages to have
stores which specifically feature the sale of red hats, among other
women's apparel, and they don't seem to have any legal trouble from
RedHat AFAIK.  But their red hats are not the RedHat logo, are not the
same type of hat (i.e., they are not fedoras; they are women's hats),
and aren't used to represent software distribution or services.

If it looks suspiciously like the RedHat "shadowman" logo, then from
what I have been told it might be safest to exclude it from the
collection.  Of course we could always *ask* the people at RedHat what
their position is on the matter.

[1] It's some kind of fashion statement thing I can't claim to really
    understand, related to some poem.  My mom goes on about it from
    time to time.  "I shall wear purple, and a red hat..."  That's
    really all I know.