[Clipart] organize repository and access rights

Jonadab the Unsightly One jonadab at bright.net
Thu Jul 15 05:08:32 PDT 2004

Nicu Buculei <nicu at apsro.com> writes:

> IMO, internationalization of categories could be achieved when the
> backend will be powered by a database.

We might not even need a db backend, once we move from directory
structure to keyword metadata; all we'd need is to translate the
heirarchy, and it would automatically pick up the right images based
on keyword.  The English one might have a Buildings category, and
underneath that it might have a Homes category, which picks up any
image with the 'house' keyword.  A Greek translation might have a
category called Oikoi, which might pick up any image with the 'house'
keyword.

Note that the keywords are under-the-hood specifiers; we'll almost
certainly use English words for our own convenience, because it makes
it easy to remember what the keywords are as we're categorizing
images.  But the interface presented to the user can call a category
whatever we choose to call it.

> for website translation, right now is used the automatic translation
> with Babelfish (see the link at bottom)

Have you ever tried to read anything translated with Babelfish?  I
know I've had a very hard time whenever I've tried to read pages that
were written in German and translated via Babelfish, and German is
theoretically quite similar to English, as languages go.