[Clipart] Couple of Notes

Alan Horkan horkana at maths.tcd.ie
Thu Jul 15 11:19:52 PDT 2004

> > > you are right, the page is too plain but i'm not that happy with
> > > showing there a list with random images: the rootdir listing is just
> > > a particular case, another particular case is listing the content of
> > > a category which contain only other subcategories (example: Food,
> > > contains Drink and Fruit) - in that case what we should we display,
> > > some random images from subcategories? then what is the differences
> > > to Shapes, which contain both images and subcategories?
> >
> > How about making "unsorted" the default, so that if the user hasn't
> > clicked on any other category they're shown the unsorted images?

> I can go to both (the three) directions:
>
> 1. Navigation by "folder"
> 2. show random images
> 3. use unsorted.
>
> What way to go?

I'd like to see a random selection as the default.

Unsorted could include recently submitted images that have not been
checked and that some people might potentially find offensive so they
should be excluded from the random selection.

I think little folder icons (or something) beside the categories/keywords
might help too.  The way they are boxed out seems a little bit too
seperate from the Images being shown seperately, could the deeply nested
tables be restructured?  (Netscape 4.x took forever to render nested
tables but that is not really important anymore but I still favour
simple design).

Could rootdir be changed to something else like 'start' or 'home'?  Root
is a very unix specific term and the term directory rarely gets used
because folder is considered simpler.

- Alan H.