[Clipart] Thumbnails in clipart packages

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Tue Jul 20 14:32:16 PDT 2004

This is a long thread. My only comment is to make sure that everyone
working on this does their research at w3c and what has already been
implemented.

So, what we are talking about is a "compressed file format for
collections of images." Does this not exist? How can we work together
with GIMP, SCRIBUS, and other apps for something that will interoperate?

Jon

On Sat, 2004-07-17 at 22:21, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Jul 2004, [ISO-8859-1] "Áki G. Karlsson" wrote:
> > Could we also have a tar.gz package as well with an install.sh script
> > that installs into {$prefix}/share/clipart if the user is root,
> > otherwise in ~/clipart, and gives prior warning in both cases?
> > Then, once this picks up, some good people will hopefully contribute
> > debian packages and rpms and windows installers...
>
> In the previous release I included a Makefile with this functionality in
> it.  `make install` copies it to /usr/share.
>
> With Makefile, the user can override the destination directory.  I also
> suspect make will be marginally more portable than a bash script.  It
> also cooperates well with packagers.
>
> > Thumbnails
> >
> > Nautilus thumbnails images, so does gthumb and Windows Explorer as well.
> > With all this thumbnailing going on, isn't it superfluous to include
> > thumbnails in the package?
>
> There are several advantages to keeping the thumbnails in the package:
>
>    * Occasionally, such as was proven with the gradients, it is
>      beneficial to have a customized thumbnail rather than simply run
>      the file through a blind svg->png converter.
>
>    * Not all software will render the SVG correctly, or may lack the
>      functionality altogether.  The online SVG browser could be an
>      example.
>
>    * Large SVG files may be unacceptably processor/memory intensive
>
> Bryce

PO BOX 948667
LA JOLLA, CA
92037