[Clipart] spider is not insect - and so we should classify

Jonadab the Unsightly One jonadab at bright.net
Tue Jul 20 22:23:17 PDT 2004

Nicu Buculei <nicu at apsro.com> writes:

> someone has moved the spider image from 'Animals' category in the
> 'Insects' subcategory -
> http://openclipart.org/clipart//Animals/Insects/spider.svg

I didn't do it, but I agree with it.

> this is not correct, because spiders are not insects,

Spiders and insects and millipedes and centipedes and other bugs
belong in a subcategory together, for the same reason that dolphins
and whales belong together with fish and seahorses and other marine
creatures.

We probably should call the category "Bugs" or "Creepy Crawlies" or
something, rather than "Insects", though, but when we get the
keyword-and-heirarchy classification system in place will be soon
enough to worry about that.