Encouraging Coporate contributors? [was Re: [Clipart] Contributors and moderation]

Jonathan Phillips jon at protofunk.org
Wed Mar 31 21:59:00 PST 2004

I concur with your opinion Bryce on waiting until the repository is
mature. Yet again, this is another discussion that needs to be added to
our group memory, aka, the wiki.

I think it would be a great idea however to compile a list of possible
companies to solicit for free images. I also think that this project is
going to need a significant image campaign to get people interested and
to help them see the benefits of this system.

Jon

On Wed, 2004-03-31 at 13:52, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Mar 2004, Alan Horkan wrote:
> > Surely if Gnome can convince Bitstream to provide fonts for use by the
> > open source community then it would be worthwhile for us to start asking
> > graphics company if they might provide some small selection of their
> > clipart.
> >
> > So do people think this is a practical idea?  (Seems like a longshot to me
> > but might be worth exploring)
> > Should we ask the Gnome Foundation for help and should I strat trying to
> > make a list of companies that sell Clipart?
>
> Sounds like a long shot, but you never know.  I'd suggest waiting until
> the clipart repository has wider visibility, though.  If you approach a
> company at this point, when we have nothing to show, it wouldn't be very
> compelling to them.  If you approach them when the clipart repository
> has an audience of hundreds of thousands, that might pique their
> interest.  (Of course, one could argue that at that point there should
> be enough contribs by regular users that it may not be necessary to get
> corp assistance.)  Also, if you can find email addresses or phone
> numbers of particular people within the company (such as marketing
> directors or business development personnel), that might prove more
> fruitful.
>
> Bryce

Graduate Researcher
Visual Arts Department