[Clipart] Contributing images.

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Mon May 3 20:04:29 PDT 2004

I saw your message about "great efforts to install inkscape have met utter
failure." And remembered I forgot to reply to below:

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004, Daniel Carrera wrote:

> > I just packaged inkscape for pkgsrc. It doesn't need Gnome desktop (I
> > don't use Gnome). My inkscape info says:
> >
> > Requires:
> > XFree86-libs>=4.4.0
> > gtk2+>=2.4.0
> > libart2>=2.3.10nb1
> > libsigc++>=1.2.3nb1
> > libxml2>=2.6.2
> > png>=1.2.4
>
> Is there a way I can get that package?  Or can you show me how to install
> inkscape without Gnome?  I have never used pkgsrc.

The package is available from mirrors via
http://linux.pugetsoundtechnology.com/download/
(All/inkscape-0.38.1.tbz).

Although is is a pkgsrc package, it is also a tar.bz2 file that can be
unextracted to /usr/ directory. Of course, it uses shared libraries, so
you may also need to install other files as found in packages listed
above (and they may have dependencies too).

Then that could overwrite parts of your system and make your current
installed software unusable.

If you really want to use the packages as packages, you could start by
using your bzip2 and your tar to unextract the pkg_install package, db4
package, pax and tnftp packages to your /usr/ directory. And
then run "pkg_add" command (just installed) to install the other packages.
You can download first, or you can try using it with a complete URL to the
inkscape package.

The above packages work for me to run inkscape on two systems. The above
method, I guess, would take about 10 minutes.

Some notes about the new,
currently-unamed distro are at http://linux.pugetsoundtechnology.com/faq/

Alternatively, if you just want to use native pkgsrc on your Linux distro
of choice, retrieve the pkgsrc tarball found via http://www.pkgsrc.org/
(or http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/software/packages.html) and
unextract to /usr/pkgsrc/ and then go into your /usr/pkgsrc/bootstrap/
directory and try running "sh ./bootstrap". When done, then retrieve the
testing pkgsrc from http://pkgsrc-wip.sourceforge.com/ and install to
/usr/pkgsrc/wip.

Then simply go into "/usr/pkgsrc/wip/inkscape/" and run "make install".
And wait while it fetches source and builds all dependencies and then
inkscape. Then run /usr/pkg/bin/inkscape.

(If using pkgsrc and build from source, the setup and the install could
take a couple hours.)

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/