[Clipart] gimp

Alan Horkan horkana at maths.tcd.ie
Wed May 5 21:23:02 PDT 2004

On Sun, 2 May 2004, Jon Phillips wrote:

> Date: Sun, 02 May 2004 15:08:57 -0700
> From: Jon Phillips <jon at rejon.org>
> To: clipart-list <clipart at freedesktop.org>
> Subject: [Clipart] gimp
>
> Has anyone sent the invite to the GIMP folks. We really need to get
> allied with the GIMP folks on the open clipart project! If anyone has
> contacts with the gimp community, please send something to them. If not,
> then hopefully we can develop this relationship.

I'm on the Gimp lists and I have not seen any mention of OpenClipart.org
yet but I'm not really surprised.
I'd be most comfortable if someone like yourself or Bryce (or someone
else approrpriate) wrote a short message saying something nice about the
Gimp and outlining how we might cooperate and I would be happy to forward
the message on to either the Gimp developer or Gimp User mailing list.

Thanks to a librsvg based plugin the Gimp imports and rasterizes SVG.
The Gimp uses an SVG backend for its Path tool but the Gimp wont be
authoring SVG anytime soon.
(Although I would be extremely interested to see someone could hack an
interesting quick and dirty SVG exporter that crudely layered a bunch of
raster graphics (as well as information about Paths, and Guides) and a
backend that allowed for that to be pasted into Inkscape.  Another
possibility would be to hack Gfig to output SVG, most its file format
structures are different but equivalent to SVG with the exception of
spirals.   I should probably mention this to Inkscape in case anyone is
interested in trying to promote integration that area).

I'm sure the Gimp would be interested in using OpenClipart, if a standard
install location has been decided I can request (in bugzilla) to add it to
their list of directories to look in for sample files.

I recently filed a request asking the Gimp to use more standard file
formats (namely PNG instead their own custom .PAT file for patterns) so
that the Gimp could make use of the standard patterns and textures
and clipart provided by various distributions.

I thought I had filed a second follow up request asking for them to
support using SVG Gradients and SVG Patterns (or just SVGs as Patterns)
directly in the relevant places and similarly drop their own gradients
file format in favour of the SVG standard but I will submit a request
soon.  (The work of understanding the SVG is already done by librsvg, it
is largely a case of hooking things up in the right places and if I ask in
the right way they will likely accept the request).

- Alan

.zZZ
very tired