[Fwd: Re: [Clipart] 0.08 release]

Jonadab the Unsightly One jonadab at bright.net
Tue Nov 2 17:08:41 PST 2004

Bryce Harrington <bryce at bryceharrington.com> writes:

> Cool, this is a great start - I've worked a little at makign the
> first few paragraphs more concise.  I think we should devote a full
> paragraph to mentioning the flags addition.  Are there other major
> contribs that went in this time around that should be identified?

When did the big collection of greyscale icons go in?  Was that this
release, or last time?  It's a ton of images.  They're not very
compelling individually, but as a group they represent interesting
possibilities.  For example, since they all use the same set of
colors, it would be possible for a visual theme using them as icons to
automatically translate them into a user's preferred color scheme.
And, as noted, there's a whole lot of them, so they beef up the
numbers considerably.

I think we should put something in about what we're soliciting for
next release.

> I like that we're acknowledging the tool work, however I think the
> story here is the clipart itself so if possible we should give the
> focus there.

The tool work is background.  Yeah, it's important, but ultimately
most people aren't going to care about the details of how it's
implemented, as long as it works.  A short mention is plenty, IMO.
The public announcement should focus on what the library provides to
users and to the open-source community.