[Clipart] Internet Explorer

Glenn Randers-Pehrson glennrp at comcast.net
Sat Nov 13 04:59:16 PST 2004

At 06:00 AM 11/13/2004 +0100, Andreas Nilsson wrote:
>>>Internet Explorer Nasties
>>>=========================
>>>
>It looks like the background color on the png and on area behind it is
>not the same color.
>If it is so, and this is a normal problem on IE,

It is a known IE problem.

>the blue in the
>background of the logo must be set to be the transparent color and the
>image must only contain 256 colors (bad png-IE-support, anti-thanks to m$).
>Paint Shop Pro can create IE-transparent-working pngs, but I am not sure
>if the gimp can (since it does alpha it the right way).
>Then there is always the nasty hack:
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q294714
>- Andreas

There is a less-nasty hack.  Use the sRGB colorspace (we probably already
are, if the images look OK on PC's), put an sRGB chunk in the PNG file
but omit the gAMA chunk.  It is the gAMA chunk that IE is mishandling.
I doubt that they will ever fix it because of a 5-year legacy of PNG
files that have been adjusted to look right on IE.

Glenn