[Clipart] Open Clip Art Library 0.08 Prerelease

Nicu Buculei nicu at apsro.com
Sun Oct 31 03:46:39 PST 2004

Bryce Harrington wrote:
> http://openclipart.org/downloads/openclipart-0.08.tgz

for start some statistics:
- the tarball is 18.7MB and uncompressed 63MB and contain a total of
8505 files (SVG, PNG and TXT)
- i removed all the duplicates from it and the result is: 11.8MB tarball
(63% of the original size or 6.7MB wasted on every download, a real
problem for dial-up), 37.1MB of uncompressed space (59% of the original
size 25.9MB of wasted HDD space) and 6328 files.
- the release contain 2108 *unique* SVG files
NOTE: my duplicates removal deleted some legit files - we have two icon
sets (Andy Fitzimon's Etiquette and Danny Allen's Flat) and both icon
sets contain some files with the exact same name (example:
apps/blender.svg and application/blender.svg )

we can *easy* reduce the tarball size with 1MB by deleting flags/sign
and flags/signs, which if i'm correct, contains only duplicates.

we have a total of 280 top-level directories, so if we will use the
content of the release for 'browse' interface this will be cluttered
with 280 top-level categories

some stupid example of top-level bloat: keyword "Do Not Enter Sign" is
placing one file in directories Do, Not, Enter and Sign (another one is
"No U Turn Sign" with the file in No, U, Turn and Sign directories)

--
nicu