[Clipart] thumbnails size

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Wed Sep 1 09:29:27 PDT 2004

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, Nicu Buculei wrote:

> we generate thumbnails for releases with Inkscape, with "-w 80"
> parameter, that means the resulting PNG will have the width 80 pixels.
>
> i just have submitted some images with the aspect ratio about 1:2.6
> (width:height). the resulted thumbnails (if we use the same procedure)
> will have the standard width (80 px) but a much larger height (206 px).

I think that is fine.

But an idea would be to use some ImageMagick tool or other to crop out the
80x80 section from middle of every PNG.

Maybe like:

convert -crop 80x80+1+1
(but I don't know how to get it from the center.)

Can inkscape do this when converting instead?

By the way, the thumbnails take up about 13MB of space. Can they be
compressed or made lower quality too?

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/