[Clipart] new site design in progress
Jonadab the Unsightly One
jonadab at bright.net
Wed Sep 8 11:37:05 PDT 2004
Jon Phillips <jon at rejon.org> writes:
> Check it: http://rejon.org/website-snapshot.png
Overall, I like this. Some more detailed comments follow...
* I'm not sure about changing the yellow slide to green. I think I
liked it better as yellow, as the red->orange->yellow progression is
very natural. Unless the yellow looks bad with the blue, I think
the logo should go back to the yellow.
* I like the blue areas at the top. Rather than trying to _match_ the
logo, blue _complements_ it, which is good. Also the colors of the
* For the download stuff across the top:
* People are going to try to click on Get ClipArt!, so it ought to
be a link. I'm unsure whether it should be a link to the package
downloads or the browse. Whichever it links to should probably
also have a more prominent link to the other option.
* "Downloads" is ambiguous. I know that it points to the bulk
packages, put a new user won't know that. "Browse" is much more
obvious what it does.
* I tend to think the order should be reversed: Browse first and
then Download Packages afterward.
* Will the random clips be screenshots thumbnails, clipart thumbnails,
or a mixture of both at random? I assume each thumbnail will point
to the full image either way?
* I like the Contribute and Project Info stuff. But I'm thinking
maybe the left and right sidebars could be combined into one
sidebar. It would be taller and so would go along the side of the
news items too, but then the other stuff would have more width. It
would be a tradeoff, and I'm not certain. Could we see it both ways
so as to be able to compare?
* Regarding Quick Submit: the submission thingy on the front page as
it currently stands takes up quite a lot of space, more than you
depict there certainly. I like your design better, among other
reasons because there's some chance the user might actually see that
there are news headlines down below, which currently is very
unlikely unless the user scrolls down. However, I'm not sure how to
condense the upload form to that size. Well, removing a lot of its
whitespace would help, but it's long no matter how you look at it
and needs a complete redesign to fit in that space and still collect
the same information. Maybe I'll look into this issue separately.
* Under "Incoming Clip Art", after the ones that are listed, there
should be a "More" or "Older" link, or something.
* I assume the list of Contributors is just a sample. It obviously
doesn't list some of the most prolific contributors. I like the way
it's layed out, though it should be sorted in some kind of order,
either by number of images contributed or alphabetically. Later,
when our metadata stuff is more worked-out and integrated with the
DMS that Bryce is working on, we might be able to make those links
to browse the images submitted by that contributor -- by category.
* The screenshot doesn't show much of the news items or the footer,
and I'd like to see those. For the news items, it'd be cool if a
small version of the logo could be used as a bullet for each point.
(There are 16, 32, 48, and 64 pixel versions of it at
where NN is the number of pixels on a side. I'm not sure which
size would be most appropriate for this, 32 maybe?)
More information about the clipart