[Clipart] SVG::Metadata re-engineering

Stephen Silver ocalocal at btinternet.com
Tue Apr 5 03:14:48 PDT 2005

Jonadab wrote:

> In all seriousness, what I really need to do is hunt down a module
> that converts charsets to UTF8.  Umm...  lesse...  Unicode::MapUTF8
> seems to have something to do with that.  I'm putting its
> documentation on my reading list.

You should look at the Encode module instead.  Unicode::MapUTF8
appears to have been designed for a time when Perl didn't have
native Unicode support (which is not surprising, as it hasn't been
updated since 2001).

The 'decode' and 'encode_utf8' functions from the Encode module
should be all you need.  In fact, you may not even need 'encode_utf8',
as you can just open the output file in UTF-8 mode:

  open(OUT, ">:encoding(utf-8)", $file) or die;

--
Stephen Silver