[Clipart] this mailing list is configured incorrectly, likely resulting in a lot of off-list discussion

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at crschmidt.net
Wed Apr 13 13:11:47 PDT 2005

On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 12:44:50PM -0700, Mike Traum wrote:
> I don't really have time to look up an RFC, but every other list I've
> been on has set the From: header to the sender and the Reply-to:
> header to the list. I'm talking about serious lists like ones under
> in apache, openoffice, etc. It may be in an RFC, but so are many
> things that are not followed exactly. RFC's, in my opinion, are made
> to be broken when it comes to useability.
>
> Regarding mail clients supporting reply-list, Yahoo and Mozilla
> Thunderbird don't, which are pretty popular, I think.

Setting the reply-to to the list ends up generating more mail to the
list that can't be undone. If you send mail to one person, you can then
forward it to the list as well. If you send it to the list when you mean
to just reply to the author, you can't unsend that.

If Yahoo and Thunderbird's Reply-To-All don't include the list address,
I'd be very surprised. Well, Thunderbird at least: Yahoo screwing
something up wouldn't surprise me.

--
Christopher Schmidt