[Clipart] KDE and OCAL

Tobias Jakobs tobias.jakobs at web.de
Sat Apr 16 13:59:34 PDT 2005

Am Freitag, den 15.04.2005, 16:15 -0700 schrieb Aaron Seigo:
> hi everyone =)

Hi Aaron,

nice to see a KDE programmer here. Some time ago I mailed the Klipart[1]
project, but it looks like it is dead. :(

> ok, so why am i posting? well, i think that what you folks are doing here is
> great, and within that context i'd to help make a couple things happen:
>
> 	0. generate more support for OCAL
> 	1. improve the experience for KDE users
>
> i think i (and others in the KDE project) can possibly help both of the above
> things happen by opening the doorway to the OCAL collection for KDE users.
>
> off the top of my head, i can think of a few things that could be done between
> KDE and OCAL (and i'm sure you'll have a lot more ideas too =):
>
> 	- providing a KDE application that can browse the archives (online/offline?)
> of OCAL. this could be made a generic part that other applications, such as
> KOffice or Quanta, could use to allow seamless access to OCAL images.
> 	- provide a GetHotNewStuff feed on OCAL's web site to make it easy (e.g. a
> couple clicks) for KDE users to grab the latest / greatest stuff from OCAL.
> 	- mention OCAL as a resource in our documentation of appropriate
> applications, such as the KOffice apps.
> 	- explore ways to cross-polinate between kde-look.org (and the upcoming
> kde-docs.org) and OCAL

That sounds all very nice.

> and of course, there are opportunities for making public announcements about
> this. now while i personally will not be able to do all of the above with
> just my own two hands, i can perhaps help facilitate this by pitching in some
> of my own efforts and (probably resulting in greater effect) finding the
> "right people" in KDE to work with OCAL. reciprocation would be welcome, of
> course.
>
> looking at your roadmap, it seems that some of these things will become (more)
> feasable with the realization of milestones 13 and 17, but i find it's
> usually good to start figuring out the details sooner rather than later.

Unfortunately the DMS ist paused at the moment, until the Inkscape gtkmm
stuff, he is working on, done. If you have a good PHP/Perl guru he would
be very welcome.

[1] http://users.skynet.be/kborrey/klipart/klipart.html