Fwd: Re: [Clipart] metadata: aren't the keywords actually categories (and can keywords be added)?

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Sat Apr 16 09:02:35 PDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-04-16 at 05:10 -0700, Mike Traum wrote:
> Andrew,
> Regarding hard links, I thought it was the same as a copy (oddly
> enough - I've been working on unix/linux systems for 10+ years).
> After doing a bit of research, it appears that it's not (it's an
> inode reference) on ext2 and ext3 filesystems, and probably others.
>
> And, tar does support this. Zip does not, but that's to be expected
> and proabably acceptable. So, I agree, this would be the best
> solution by far. You'd have a download that isn't bloated becuase of
> duplicate files. You'd have an extraction that isn't bloated on
> filesystems that support it. The only issue is extraction filesystems
> doesn't support it (Windows XP / NTFS doesn't, I believe), but I
> think we can all live with that.

I don't think we can follow this line of thinking. The clipart should
not be about exclusivity, as what we are trying to make accessible is
the clipart and not a file browser, or only a system for unix/linux/etc.
In all honesty, support of windows is a major priority for projects like
Inkscape and the gimp. For Inkscape, the number of windows downloads is
much much much larger than for linux/unix.

> It appears the 'link' command in perl can make hardlinks, but it
> looks like it will fail if a hardlink cannot be made (or, maybe it'll
> just copy?), so this will need to be taken into account in the perl
> packaging scripts.

I disagree with doing packages this way thoroughly because it locks in
the system to certain file systems. Remember: The file hierarchy in the
packages is temporary. Everything is going to be moved to a document
management system on the web server, and then customized packages, and
releases can be built by anyone. This is the goal. I think it best to
keep our eyes on the prize.

> Also, this does place the requirement that packages be generated on a
> filesystem that support's this. Is this acceptable to the openclipart
> Release Manager, whoever he may be?
>
> Regading the data definition, I definitely agree that having the data
> in the images is the highest priority. And I also agree that doing a
> data definition now will likely result in changes. But, right now
> there is NO data definition for certain things that are critical to
> write the application I'm proposing. For example, I previously had
> discussions about transforming the .idx in the package to xml, as
> well as a future planned 'hierarchy-en.xml' file. The hierarchy file
> may not be necessary for the clip organizer app, by an index
> certainly would be of great help (especially since it's already
> there, but in perl form). Otherwise, importing a openclipart package
> into a client app will take FOREVER, being that every individual file
> would need to be read and parsed.

Go ahead and make a schema for this index, or even better find one that
is already standardized, and see how you can plug this into the project.
The interest is there, so I think if you just do the work it will be
supported. Also, please join up on the project. If you email me your
username, email, gpg/pgp key, and ssh key, I will get you access to our
fd.o project/web server. Hopefully that will empower you further.