[Clipart] KDE and OCAL

Bryce Harrington bryce at bryceharrington.com
Tue Apr 19 00:03:51 PDT 2005

On Mon, Apr 18, 2005 at 12:42:24PM -0700, Aaron Seigo wrote:

> > > of course. i just didn't want to spend resources in this direction if
> > > there wasn't some interest on OCAL's part, which it seems there is so
> > > .... huzzah!
> >
> > Interest is one thing, but I do not know that we have the developer
> > talent and time to undertake this.  Certainly, it would be cool to
> > see such a thing materialize.
>
> oh, i'm not expecting OCAL to do this. it would be something that i or another
> KDE developer would do. obviously this would take some coordination w/OCAL on
> things such as the metadata usage and directory layouts.

I can chip in some ideas, observations, and directions for this.  We've
been batting a lot of these ideas around since the project inception.
Ideally, I'd love to come up with a solution that allows any app to
seamlessly access, pull from, and push to the library.

SOAP has been my main focus for achieving this and I've gotten a good
share of the (Perl) code written to do this, but it's certainly not
perfect in all respects, and I'm definitely open to other ideas.

But basically, my dream setup involves running a server as a daemon
process at openclipart.org that enables download, search, and submit
from any kind of client (cmdline, web, gui, etc.) interface.