Disclaimer [Re: [Clipart] Nazi flag]

Bryce Harrington bryce at bryceharrington.com
Thu Aug 4 09:53:00 PDT 2005

On Thu, Aug 04, 2005 at 01:32:26PM +0100, Alan Horkan wrote:

> > - maybe there sould be a warning, saying to visitors that the clipart
> > contains all kind of images (religious, decent nudity, political,
> > etc...)  and it's up to them to accept the fact that they may be
> > "offended" by some of them.
>
> I think we need this much of a disclaimer now.  I'd be insterested to see
> what Wikipedia does.  Perhaps in future we can tag and seperate out things
> and provide a "Safe Search" but I dont think it is something we could do
> immediately so in the meantime I think a disclaimer is the best we can
> manage.

Agreed.

Also, it occurs to me that we could provide a psychological outlet for
users and at the same time establish a process that allows us to account
for offensiveness by providing a button labeled something like, "I am
offended by this image", that leads to a form that allows them to
specify a reason.

Initially, we'd just have this form pipe here to the list; it'd give us
a way to handle these things within the system, and (hopefully) avoiding
the situation where each questionable image turns into a debate.

Later on, we'd be able to route this form into the database to keep
track of degree and type of offensiveness for each image, and then use
that data as a way to allow users to filter what they see, turning it
into a closed feedback loop.