[Clipart] releasing Clip Art Browser 0.4!!

Greg Steffensen greg.steffensen at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 12:25:06 PDT 2005

Hey all, I'm releasing version 0.4 of the Clip Art Browser. This, of course,
is the release of the browser thats meant to be the final product for the
purposes of Google's Summer of Code. Grab it from

http://download.berlios.de/ocalhelper/clipartbrowser-0.4.tar.gz

Hopefully, installation is even simpler now. The indexing process for local
clip art, which could be a bit confusing, has been integrated into the GUI,
so that now, you really only have to extract and run. The README has been
updated, but if you have trouble getting it to work, let me know.

Ironically, the one feature that no longer works is, uh, working as an
Inkscape extension. That should be very simple to do... it just need to
figure out how to have the executable that Inkscape calls launch the browser
as a separate process, but this has been surprisingly tricky in python. If
people would like to put this in 0.43, I can get this fixed tonight if
needed, but I assumed that it probbaly wouldn't be. I also figured that the
effects menu isn't really the appropriate place for something like this, and
we'd have to semi-hardcode it into some other menu later anyway (I think Jon
mentioned something about this earlier).

This isn't a final product, of course. I look forward to continuing to
improve it, and hopefully getting more into the code of Inkscape proper over
the coming months. Thanks to all the developers who provided feedback, and
Bryce and Jon in particular. Also, java sucks.

Greg