[Clipart] Bzip archives?

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Sat Feb 5 13:07:38 PST 2005

Glenn Randers-Pehrson wrote:

> Libpng started offering the tar.bz2 several years ago but we have not
> dropped tar.gz yet because still almost half of the users choose the
> tar.gz download format.  Our concern is more about transfer time than
> storage space on the server.  ImageMagick and GraphicsMagick have
> roughly the same experience; about half of the users are still choosing
> the less efficient tar.gz (Hmmm, SourceForge stats are hosed again
> so I can't prove that now).

Yeah, storage space is cheap these days. I think it would be okay to include all
three formats for the time being...The main thing we are releasing is these
packages right now, so might as well suit users.

Maybe we should get more concerned later about this, but for now I think we are
fine. Better to spend the energy on our support tools, right?