[Clipart] SVG::Metadata 0.21 released

Jonadab the Unsightly One jonadab at bright.net
Tue Feb 8 08:28:18 PST 2005

Bryce Harrington <bryce at bryceharrington.com> writes:

> Version 0.21 of SVG::Metadata has been released to CPAN tonight.

I've put the Metadata.pm file from 0.21 into
/srv/clipart.freedesktop.org/lib/perl/site_perl/SVG/

If the other files (e.g., svg_annotate) need to be installed on the
server, I don't know where to put them.

Oh, and...  when installing with CPAN.pm on my home system, I have to
force install, because the tests always fail:

  CPAN.pm: Going to build B/BR/BRYCE/SVG-Metadata-0.21.tar.gz

Checking if your kit is complete...
Looks good
Writing Makefile for SVG::Metadata
cp lib/SVG/Metadata.pm blib/lib/SVG/Metadata.pm
cp scripts/svg_annotate blib/script/svg_annotate
/usr/bin/perl5.8.1 "-MExtUtils::MY" -e "MY->fixin(shift)" blib/script/svg_annotate
cp scripts/svg_validate blib/script/svg_validate
/usr/bin/perl5.8.1 "-MExtUtils::MY" -e "MY->fixin(shift)" blib/script/svg_validate
Manifying blib/man1/svg_annotate.1
Manifying blib/man1/svg_validate.1
Manifying blib/man3/SVG::Metadata.3pm
  /usr/bin/make  -- OK
Running make test
PERL_DL_NONLAZY=1 /usr/bin/perl5.8.1 "-MExtUtils::Command::MM" "-e" "test_harness(0, 'blib/lib', 'blib/arch')" t/*.t
t/0.use.........ok
t/1.keywords....NOK 1#     Failed test (t/1.keywords.t at line 20)
t/1.keywords....NOK 2#     Failed test (t/1.keywords.t at line 35)
# Looks like you failed 2 tests of 2.
t/1.keywords....dubious
        Test returned status 2 (wstat 512, 0x200)
Scalar found where operator expected at (eval 153) line 1, near "'int'  $__val"
        (Missing operator before   $__val?)
DIED. FAILED tests 1-2
        Failed 2/2 tests, 0.00% okay
Failed Test    Stat Wstat Total Fail  Failed  List of Failed
t/1.keywords.t    2   512     2    2 100.00%  1-2
Failed 1/2 test scripts, 50.00% okay. 2/4 subtests failed, 50.00% okay.
make: *** [test_dynamic] Error 2
  /usr/bin/make test -- NOT OK
Running make install
  make test had returned bad status, won't install without force

(This is in perl 5.8.1 on Mandrake 9.2, with CPAN version 1.76.)

>    * Fixed bug where SVG::Metadata parses the publisher info
>      incorrectly, causing further writes to display it as HASH.

Oh, good, we'd been getting a couple of complaints about that one.
Should we "fix" the publisher to the Open Clip Art Library in cases
where it's set to an obviously-wrong value such as "HASHsomething"?
My thinking has been that we should set the publisher to OCAL any time
there's not already a publisher, or preserve the extant publisher info
otherwise (which is what the upload tool currently does, I think).

>    * Entirely removed an if clause that was causing
>    'improvisedkeywordparse', 'HASH', etc. to appear in keywords.
>    This was just a hack around a bug in Inkscape that's been fixed
>    for a few releases anyway, so the code's not that useful.

Hopefully everyone will have recent versions of Inkscape?

(The 0.40 release is worth the upgrade anyway, in my estimation...)

>    * Removed the default values for the cmdline options for license
>    and title.  Now they default to blank ('').  This was done so
>    that when running `svg_annotate -e`, it won't change contents of
>    your SVG metadata to the defaults.

This is IMO better anyway, in theory, as it makes the module more
generally useful outside of the OCAL project.  If SVG::Metadata
handles the embedded RDF the same way that Inkscape handles it, and if
it's useful for more than just OCAL, you have there the beginnings of
a de-facto standard way of handling it, which is a good thing.