[Clipart] [Fwd: Re: load of openclipart]

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Wed Feb 9 01:18:54 PST 2005

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: load of openclipart
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 19:26:12 +1100
From: Daniel Stone <daniel at fooishbar.org>
To: Jon Phillips <jon at rejon.org>
CC: sitewranglers at lists.freedesktop.org
<20050209074312.GS9332 at catsby.fooishbar.org> <4209C736.3090306 at rejon.org>

On Wed, Feb 09, 2005 at 12:17:58AM -0800, Jon Phillips wrote:
> That is so awesome. I have several people that have asked me about
> providing mirrors for Open Clip Art Library, and I told them that I would
> rather provide a mirror to fdo. So, this looks like the best solution! So
> cool...I'm forwarding this onto the OCAL group...
>
> How will download.freedesktop.org work? Will this be similar to sf.net? Too
> bad that the entire fd.o web server installation couldn't be mirrored
> automatically behind the scenes so the user wouldn't even have to
> know...however, I'm sure the solution you all will be providing will be
> stellar.

Unfortunately, with all the Wikis and PHP, this proves rather difficult.
So, the best solution here is just to mirror the tarballs and stuff like
that, since a) not only do you most assuredly want GPG security for
these, but, b) we have more than enough bandwidth to serve the web stuff,
even when everyone has a hojillion gigabits to their home.

Basically, the way it will work is that you will make a file containing:
project-for-tarball tarball-name md5sum-of-tarball location-to-put-tarball
project-for-tarball2 tarball2-name md5sum-of-tarball2 location-to-put-tarball2
... and GPG sign this.  It will then get processed by a small daemon
which reaps the upload queue (world-writeable), and places the files in
the appropriate places if that person is in the GPG keyring for those
projects.

So yeah, I'd imagine the user experience would most closely approximate
GNOME or KDE, since we have a crapton of bandwidth that we can still use
to serve tarballs.  But for those who want to get it locally, or --
importantly for Australia -- get tarballs outside of the transfer caps
that their ISPs impose (intra-ISP traffic is free; inter-ISP traffic is
free for certain groupings of ISPs, who usually have massive mirrors on
their exchanges).

:) d

jon at rejon.org
http://www.rejon.org