[Clipart] Re: svg shell extension

Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller uraeus at linuxrising.org
Wed Feb 16 06:12:00 PST 2005

Hi Carl,
Caleb Moore has just completed (some polish remaining) a re-work of
librsvg in CVS allowing the use of different backends than libart. The
main reason for this was to be able to add a Cairo backend.

What would be great at this point would be if you would be interested in
dropping xsvg and instead help out with librsvg, especially the Cairo
backend part.

I think it would be advantageous to all as it would provide much better
SVG specification support than the current xsvg (as there been a lot of
fixes and additions added to librsvg since the time of your fork) and
it would help librsvg get a better Cairo back-end quicker as neither Dom
nor Caleb is that familiar with Cairo currently while you are.

Can't help but feel it would be an utter waste of time if you spent time
on xsvg repeating the work Dom and Caleb have been doing on improving
spec coverage while Dom and Caleb spends time trying to figure out how
to use Cairo with its currently limited docs, when a unified effort
would get us all there much quicker. Since librsvg is already used by
Nautilus and many GNOME games it would also more quickly provide a good
testing ground for Cairo compared to apps needing to either adding
optional xsvg support or porting over.

Christian