[Clipart] incoming logos

Glenn Randers-Pehrson <glennrp> glennrp at comcast.net
Thu Feb 17 10:05:13 PST 2005

Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller wrote:

> There is something called fair use of trademarks, you don't need
> permission in a lot of cases to use someones trademark. See that link in
> my previous mail on the topic. Question is of course if offering the
> trademarks on OCAL is considered 'fair use'. The lawyer I mailed replied
> and didn't want to have an opinion. So personally I guess I would vote
> against trademarked logos, except maybe for free software projects who
> have a clear usage policy.

Our policy is supposed to be "public domain".  People are supposed to be
able to assume that our stuff is safe to use.  Letting in any kind of
trademarks that require consultation with a lawyer before using them
would spoil that nice situation.

Who is responsible for policing the repository to remove
non-public-domain
contributions?

Glenn