[Clipart] Scribus Team Releases 1.3.0 - La Liberté
mrdocs at scribus.info
Sat Jul 16 02:51:53 PDT 2005
The Scribus Team is pleased to announce a technology preview of the
next generation of Scribus - Open Source Desktop Publishing.
The aim for this release is to bring improvements and enhancements for
both professionals and beginning users alike. 1.3.0 improves Scribus'
abilities in areas like performance, accessibility and workflow. With
this release, we also commence support for Scribus running natively
on Windows and Mac OS X.
While it is very stable and usable, there are a number of under the
hood changes which will continue through the 1.3.x series
* Work is on-going to make Scribus more platform independent and
alpha quality builds of Scribus are already working on Win32 and Mac
OS X. A native Mac OS X build is available here:
* There is a new undo system, which includes an undo palette that has
the undo history with details of each action. Undo also has object
specific capabilities. The number of undo/redo steps can be set in
* Revised document and application preferences. Extensive attention
has been placed on making preferences easier to use with document and
application preferences distinctly separated.
* Scribus now has "scratch space" which can be used to store objects
partially or fully off the page.
* Scribus can now generate Tables of Contents, based on user
* Scribus now has its own built-in pre-flight verifier for printing or
exporting to PDF. The pre-flighter is designed to look for issues
which might cause problems when printing or exporting PDF.
* More professional DTP features like adding ciceros for measurement
units and support. Scribus now has true facing page support and page
objects such as images can span them.
* Scribus now has more extensive support for CMYK images, as well as
clipping paths in TIFF files, CMYK-JPEG, as well as new support for
native Photoshop ® PSD files. 16-bit RGB/CMYK TIFF and PSD support
will follow soon. ICC color management of for these image formats is
* New image effect features including tinting, greyscaling, blurring,
colorizing and sharpening.
* Scribus 1.3.0 now supports PDF 1.5 features including layers in
* Scribus 1.3.0 uses an intermediary file format based on the Scribus
1.2.x format. The new format to finally replace this intermediary
format is in design and development stages and its implementation
will begin soon.
For future development versions, we will be announcing competitions
for icon sets and splashscreens.
The Scribus Team would also like to thank Anduin.net/Øverby Consulting
and n at work GmbH, Hamburg for gracefully sponsoring our Scribus
Documentation site, our Bug Tracker and Anonymous CVS server. Also, a
note of thanks to University of Salford - School of Media, Music and
Performance for providing continued hosting of www.scribus.net and
upgrading the server hardware.
Getting Scribus 1.3.0
Download from our Sourceforge page:
Download from: http://www.scribus.org.uk/
Get the MacOSX build from: http://aqua.scribus.net
More information about the clipart