[Clipart] upload ist failing

Jonadab the Unsightly One jonadab at bright.net
Fri Jul 22 20:15:46 PDT 2005

Bryce Harrington <bryce at bryceharrington.com> writes:

> > Man, if I knew last October what I know now, I would have said
> > that embedding the metadata in the actual SVG images would be a
> > lot of trouble and bug-prone and that we should use separate .rdf
> > files like we have to do anyway for all the non-XML filetypes.
>
> Interesting, I took this approach with DMS;

Which, embedding the metadata, or keeping it separate?

> sounds like we should stick with this mechanism in general.

Well, I *think* most of the bugs are worked out now, except for a
charset handling issue in the upload script.

But if we'd gone with the separate-metadata-file approach, it would
have saved us several significant bugs over the last few months:  the
one where the regular expression ate too much, the one where the
regular expression didn't insert the metadata if the root element
wasn't called svg, and the one where the files were written empty.
Plus two other bugs (a charset bug and the one where encode_entities
encoded too much) would only have impacted the metadata, leaving the
SVG files usable, but because the metadata was embedded the SVG files
were broken too.

Live and learn.

> I think we could do a "late binding" of the metadata, keeping the
> original svg around as submitted.  That way if the metadata update
> scripts fail, we can go back to the source and resolve it.

Hmmm...  so, do you mean that the upload script would check in the SVG
as it stands when the user submits it to the DMS and then also set
metadata for it, as a separate step, and then the release process
could pull both the SVG and the metadata for it from the DMS and
then combine them at that point?

--
Open Clip Art Library:  Drawing Together
http://www.openclipart.org/