[Clipart] Use 7Zip for the Open Cliparts distribution

Nicu Buculei nicu at apsro.com
Sat Jun 11 05:46:57 PDT 2005

Daniel Carrera wrote:
> Bryce Harrington wrote:
>
>> The considerations that need to be made are:
>>
>>    * Can this type of file be generated on Linux (since we do our
>>      packaging via Linux)
>

> 7-Zip itself is a Windows-only program. There has been work on a
> command-line version that could run on Linux-Intel (but I couldn't get
> it to work last time).

The command line version for Linux is available here:
http://p7zip.sourceforge.net/

>>    * Is this format sufficiently widespread to be of actual use?
>>      (Too many options can make things more confusing for users)
>

> Sadly, it isn't. Even if you got the Linux version working, it would be
> tied to x86. The design of 7-Zip depends on the CPU being little-endian,
> so it would exclude PPC and Sparc, and with it Mac OS X, Solaris, and
> Yellow Dog Linux.

are you sure? I see Debian has packages for a lot of architectures,
including PPC and Sparc: http://packages.debian.org/unstable/utils/p7zip
and Fedora has packages for PPC:
http://mirror.linux.duke.edu/pub/fedora/linux/extras/4/ppc/p7zip-4.16-1.ppc.rpm

> But even on x86-Linux, 7-Zip is far from widespread because the command
> line utility hasn't been forthcomming (last time I checked).

 From what I see, it appears p7zip is lately included in various
distros: Debian Unstable, Fedora Extras, Mandrake, Gentoo.
As for GUI,  I see support for 7-zip was added in File Roller 2.9 -
http://fileroller.sourceforge.net/NEWS.html

That being said, I am not very sure how useful is to add yet another
archive format to the 4 existing ones.
Maybe the NSIS installer for Windows may be made to use 7-zip (instead
of whatever compression is using now), just like the installer for
OpenOffice.org.