[Fwd: Re: [Clipart] OO.o page about OCAL]

Nicu Buculei nicu at apsro.com
Thu Jun 23 03:21:53 PDT 2005

michael meeks wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-06-22 at 13:02 -0700, Jon Phillips wrote:
>
>>    2.) OO.o needs OCAL browser that browses SVG and not PNG
>>        * This is under Tools > Gallery in OO.o, right?
>

> 	Well - that's trivial in fact once you solve the minor SVG importing
> issue above ;-) and IMHO you're wrong :-) OO.o (for good reason) uses a
> single, aggregated bitmap/thumbnail cache for clipart - and I think
> that's the only sane way to make clipart browsing efficient and
> performant. Scattering files across the disk and mandating they all need
> to be read regularly is just a really silly idea [ cf. .desktop files].

How about a completely different approach?
We are talking for some months about a GTK application for
getting/browsing clipart, even Inkscape proposals for SoC contain
"Create a Clipart Library interface".
Why not use such an interface for clipart retrieval, classification and
import on *multiple* applications, like Inkscape, Scribus, Gimp *and* OOo?

Each of those applications can have a menu entry "Insert->Clipart" wich
will launch this independent browser, the user can search in it, select
a SVG and retrieve the file (or a bitmap copy, created on the fly using
librsvg for example)

--
nicu