[Clipart] SVG font

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Wed Jun 29 15:04:03 PDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-29 at 13:21 -0400, Jonadab the Unsightly One wrote:
> Jon Phillips <jon at rejon.org> writes:
>
> > I think it suits our project best to release fonts in an open
> > standard.  Are OpenType or TrueType open standards?
>
> Define "open standard".  TrueType and OpenType were not designed by a
> working group for a standards body in view of the public, but they do
> have published and available format specifications.

I wonder what the pros and cons of supporting True Type or Open Type
wuld be. I started looking at the specs a bit:

http://www.adobe.co.uk/type/opentype/main.html
http://www.microsoft.com/OpenType/OTSpec/
http://www.truetype.demon.co.uk/opentype.htm

Mainly, what is the deal with licensing?

> However, as much as I want to see more free fonts in the world, I
> think fonts are inherently different from clipart in a number of ways,
> and TrueType/OpenType are different from SVG, too, so it would make a
> certain amount of sense to refer font donations to an affiliate or
> sister "Open Fonts Collection" project, if such a thing exists.

I understand this logic and think it might be worthwhile to store up SVG
fonts somewhere, wiki, or to a folder, and when we gather enough, or
there is momentum, and open fonts library could be
established...hmmmm....

I'm not sure about this at present. The Open Clip Art Library is to
collect clip art and not just SVG, right? So, my initial thought is more
in-line with how Inkscape is trying to be a compliant SVG editor. Thus,
OCAL is not trying to be compliant with SVG, but it is the default
format for clip art, which are static graphical bits by definition.

Hmmm...I guess we could register Open Font Library
(www.openfontlibrary.org) and then just start shuffling fonts that
direction. I've thought the same about getting the domain name
www.openmedialibrary.org.

In terms of time output, I don't think we have time to maintain these
but maybe it would be a good idea to get the names. Thoughts?

jon at rejon.org
http://www.rejon.org

Inkscape (http://inkscape.org)
CVS Book (http://cvsbook.ucsd.edu)