[Clipart] Open Clip Art Library Release 0.11 Announcement

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Wed Mar 9 15:15:06 PST 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-08 at 18:30 -0500, Jonadab the Unsightly One wrote:
> Jon Phillips <jon at rejon.org> writes:
>
> [the keyword search]
> > There are still bugs with it, but hopefully we can help hammer them
> > all out. I'm not sure that they need their titles underneath the
> > images or numbers either. Jonadab, could you tell us how we can help
> > you test and develop that tool and others?
>
> For the keyword search tool, there is one bug that I'm aware of (that
> sometimes there's an extra, empty result), and one feature request
> that I recall (to have the specific keywords that matched in a tooltip
> when hovering over the number of matches).  If there are other things,
> a reply to this message would be a good place for them.

I think you should remove the number next to the image, as it always
displays [1] and then the CSS for the link is really messy looking.
Maybe that can be shut off. Are you just working from the version of
these in the cgi-bin. I can fix some of these design fixes.

> However, as noted, the keyword search is only as useful as the index,
> which is built from the keywords in the metadata.  If someone has
> trainloads of spare time, going through the whole collection and
> adding relevant keywords to each image would make keyword searching
> turn up better results.  But we're talking serious heavy-duty amounts
> of spare time here, to attach keywords to each of several thousand
> images.  Eventually, when we get user login and stuff, we could create
> a web interface for that, and get the end users to help with it.  That
> would go nicely together with the ratings system, I think.  So let's
> call that a long-term goal.

Yes, I agree that once we implement the rating and empower the community
to edit the keywords easier, then we will have a much better solution.
Thanks for rocking out the keyword search. It is mega cool.

jon at rejon.org
http://www.rejon.org

Inkscape (http://inkscape.org)
CVS Book (http://cvsbook.ucsd.edu)