[off-topic] general-purpose scripting in XML and SVG (was Re: [Clipart] Malware in clipart)

Jonadab the Unsightly One jonadab at bright.net
Tue Mar 15 04:35:43 PST 2005

Nicu Buculei <nicu at apsro.com> writes:

> think about animation

General-purpose scripting is certainly not the easiest way to to
accomplish animation, and I very much doubt it's the most efficient,
either.  (Whether SVG has another way to accomplish animation, I don't
know, but it should.)

> or interactive SVG images on a website (roll-over buttons)

The website can already contain scripts (external to the SVG and, for
that matter, external to the HTML), which presumably could access the
SVG's DOM (just as they do the HTML's DOM), so this does not (or, at
any rate, should not) require any scripts in the SVG itself.

As far as rollover effects specifically, those *ought* to be able to
be accomplished with :hover in the stylesheets; though in practice not
all of them can be, that is because of limitations in the CSS spec
and/or browser support, not for any good theoretical reason, and
future versions should clear up such problems.