[Clipart] Re: OO.o gallery generator ...

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Wed Mar 16 17:26:16 PST 2005

On Sat, 2005-03-12 at 20:43 +0000, Michael Meeks wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> 	I don't believe I've publicised this, but I'd love to be shipping the
> openclipart (sadly rendered to bitmaps) with Novell's OO.o -
> unfortunately the gallery construction process is rather painfully
> baroque.

Yes, we would like that as well. Is our process or the OO.o way
painfully baroque? So by baroque you mean which process is too
complicated?

> 	Knowing of no way to overcome this problem, I've done some hacking on
> the gallery code & come up with a partial solution:
>
> 	http://go-oo.org/ooo-build/patches/test  [ the gallery * ]
>
> 	This is the start of a utility to import a scad of bitmaps into the
> nasty binary theme file format that up-stream OO.o love ;-> [ in lieu of
> some nice, standard, sensible format ;-]

Well, we've been pushing for OO.o to support SVG, but so far OO.o only
supports SVG export. Ideally, we would like the clip art to be in SVG
format. I wish someone would work on this for OO.o.

> 	I hope that's interesting to someone, my work has lapsed for a little,

Yes, that is very interesting. So these are patches to the current head
of OO.o? What should be done with them? Are there instructions anywhere?

Would you like help with this? How can we support these endeavors? Will
these patches get applied to the main OO.o code, or only Novell's? Is
Novell's OO.o the same as the old Ximian one?

Thanks for your work...very cool! Our project is helping to catalyze
some interesting tools and sub-projects. It would be good if we could
help in some way.

jon at rejon.org
http://www.rejon.org

Inkscape (http://inkscape.org)