[Clipart] release 13 coming up

Stephen Silver ocalocal at btinternet.com
Mon May 2 08:59:58 PDT 2005

Jonadab wrote:

> "Stephen Silver" <ocalocal at btinternet.com> writes:

> > I think the release needs to done again.  All the SVG files
> > seem to have been damaged during the release process - none
> > of those I tried will display in the Adobe SVG Viewer, for
> > example.  This applies to the old ones as well as the new ones.
>
> Interesting.  I'm having no trouble opening them with Inkscape.
> Still, that could be laxness on its part, so we definitely need to
> look into this.  How would we go about finding out what it is about
> them that the Adobe viewer doesn't like?  Does it provide any
> diagnostic information or explanation of what the problem is?

No, it just displays a blank page.  Batik does the same, but
sometimes gives error messages (e.g., it gives the message
'The attribute "width" of the element <rect> is required' for
recreation/music/jazz_enrique_meza_c_01.svg).

> Could this be related to the way XML::Twig is rewriting the XML?
> Something to do with namespaces and the prefix: notation?  I'm just
> guessing wildly in the dark here...

Yes, I think it's the fact that everything in the SVG namespace
is prefixed by "svg:" that's the problem.  The XML declaration is
also missing, so we should fix that too, but that probably won't
affect SVG viewers.  There may be other problems that I haven't
noticed yet.

> > Perhaps it would be best not to have a release this month -
> > the tools need to be fixed and thoroughly tested first.
>
> Well, people can always continue to use the 0.12 release until
> we get this ironed out.

Yes, so there's no need to put out a broken release.

> The PR could warn that the new release may not work in all viewers,

But Batik Squiggle and the Adobe SVG Viewer are the best SVG viewers
I know of, and neither of them can display these files.

> and that we are working on the problem...  or we could just skip
> the PR altogether, if it is felt that a broken release is worse
> than no release.

It makes no sense to put out PR for release 0.13 in its current
state.  I don't know how long it will take to fix it, but it
may well be nearer June 1 than May 1 if it's going to be done
properly.

--
Stephen Silver