[Clipart] parameterized clipart (was: coordinate the new release)

Alan Horkan horkana at maths.tcd.ie
Thu Sep 1 10:46:27 PDT 2005

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005, Greg Steffensen wrote:

> Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 12:02:39 -0400
> From: Greg Steffensen <greg.steffensen at gmail.com>
> To: Stephen Silver <clipart at lists.freedesktop.org>
> Subject: Re: [Clipart] parameterized clipart (was: coordinate the new
>     release)
>

> > What I would like to see eventually is a way to contribute parameterized
> > clipart to OCAL. So, for example, the user could be given the chance to
> > choose a new time for the clock image, and the server would generate the
> > image with the chosen time for the user to download.

You could probably animate a clock.

Maybe not an approach that would work in all cases but enought that
we wouldn't have to get too complicated about it.

On the other hand I would love to see people making web pages or web
based applications that allow you to fill in a form and generate
Scalable Vector Graphics, or create variations on a theme, perhaps
regenerating the same SVG with different colour schemes or randomly
generating new Gradients, Patterns or other resources which might be
useful as a basis for works to be submitted to OpenClipart.org

> Clipart like that would be difficult to package. If we can make it easier to
> install new Inkscape extensions, that seems like a better place to address
> this.

I don't see any reason why we couldn't include animations in
OpenClipart.org but for the time being not many people will have the
software to author animated SVG or reuse them.  Could be fun taking
existing pieces from the collection and adding subtle animations to them
like making cartoon character blink.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

Inkscape http://inkscape.org