[Clipart] OpenOffice and OpenClipArt

Nicu Buculei nicu at apsro.com
Wed Sep 14 03:28:36 PDT 2005

Daniel Carrera wrote:
> Nicu Buculei (OCAL) wrote:
>
>> The key problem is OOo does _not_ import SVG images,
>

> It /sort of/ does now. There is a new /plugin/ that lets you import SVG
> images *but* not in an editable way.
>
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/SVGImportFilter

I know about this and stay prepared to read some flames about it :D
I remember all the talk a few months ago all the talk about OOo not
being really free as more and more parts of it depends by the
proprietary Java. And the conflict was solved by OOo developers pledging
to support only features available in free implementations (basically
Java 1.4)
Guess what? This plugin requires Java 5.0

Probably it will get away being only a plugin and not available in the
default install (as OOo 2.0 is in feature freeze for quite some time,
very close to RC, and new features are not added) so less important for
end-users.

> In other words, the plugin lets OOo open and render SVG images, but it
> doesn't translate them to the OpenDocument format. It appears that
> translating SVG to OpenDocument is not easy.
>
> So, this is better than using bitmap images (it's scalable) but not as
> good as true import.

It should be also mentioned this is work in progress, with limited
functionality
(http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/SVGUnsupportedFeatures),
but is a notable start.

--