[Clipart] Duplicated items / keywords question

Nicu Buculei (OCAL) nicu at apsro.com
Wed Sep 21 01:54:04 PDT 2005

Jon Phillips wrote:

> I propose that we release only SVG in our packages from now on to shrink
> the overall package size much.

I incline to agree with this.
A supporting argument for it: a software allowing to generate thumbnails
on target system is the full Inkscape installation, which is much
smaller as a download compared with the size of all PNGs.

When you say "only SVG" this is without both PNG and TXT? Is there any
use for the TXT files in the release?

I don't know (nor care) about OS X, but I suspect Windows is the only
platform unable to automatically generate thumbnails for SVG files, so
the usefulness of including PNG files is small.

We can evaluate the opportunity to provide, either us or a third party,
a PNG only version of the packages. This could have images with a large
resolution compared with the actual 128 x 128, and there are already
3-rd party providers (theOpenCD).

--
nicu