[Clipart] Inclusion of copyrighted logo in your library

Bryce Harrington bryce at bryceharrington.org
Wed Sep 21 09:44:29 PDT 2005

On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 09:51:55AM -0400, Jonadab the Unsightly One wrote:
> Alan Horkan <horkana at maths.tcd.ie> writes:
>
> > I reluctantly agree with principle of it but wish we could find a
> > way to modify the files enough that we could include them instead of
> > being forced to throw away good work.
>
> I do not think we necessarily have to irrevocably throw all the logos
> away in the rm -rf sense.  We just can't include them in the Open Clip
> Art Library.  However, someone presumably could host them in a
> non-public-domain collection with appropriate disclaimers and
> warnings.  I don't know who that someone would be, but we could hang
> onto them (outside the scope of the collection -- the failed files
> archive seems as good a place as any) pending the appearance of said
> someone.

Agreed; I've suggested that this be done as part of the Inkscape User's
group.  The idea being to not only collect logos but also have a monthly
contest to make new ones (like was done with the Inkscape about screen
contest).  Looking for someone interested in coordinating it and
enthusiastic about making it a new success.

The would be several distinguishing features of this logo project that
make it quite different from OCAL:  First, while OCAL strives for
licensing uniformity (i.e., PD), this project would have as a primary
focus of licensing multiplicity.  It'd need to keep track of what terms
each logo is provided under.  Also, whereas OCAL sort of passively
accepts contributions, this logo project would need to be more
interactive with the artist and/or trademark holder, to ensure the item
is captured, licensed, and redistributed properly.

Third (and arguably the most important part), I think it would be
worthwhile for it to also be active in helping other open source
projects gain good logos.  Product imagery can have a strong influence
on the success of a project; most people know not to judge a book by its
cover, but why not have a good cover, too?  There are tons of very
excellent open source projects with no logo or with just a placeholder.
By improving the logos of various projects across the board, we improve
the overall level of imagery in open source and thus make the whole more
palatable to those potential open source users.