[Clipart] Open Source Software

Alan Horkan horkana at maths.tcd.ie
Thu Feb 2 16:45:11 PST 2006

On Thu, 2 Feb 2006, Chad Smith wrote:

> Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 10:24:59 -0500
> From: Chad Smith <chad78 at gmail.com>
> To: Alan Horkan <horkana at maths.tcd.ie>, clipart at lists.freedesktop.org
> Subject: Re: [Clipart] Open Source Software
>
> Hi Alan,
>
> On 2/1/06, Alan Horkan <horkana at maths.tcd.ie> wrote:
>

> > When it (Firefox) was proposed previously I objected and pointed out that
> > SVG support in Firefox was vapourware and no stable release with SVG
> > support existed (this may have finally changed).  I'm quite annoyed at how
> > the Mozilla foundation have dragged their feet when it comes to supporting
> > standards like MNG and SVG choosing other priorities instead.  Opera has
> > had SVG support for longer and the recently released Seamonkey 1.0 also
> > includes SVG support (Seamonkey 1.0 also known as Mozilla Suite 1.8) so it
> > would be unfair to give Firefox any more attention than the browsers which
> > doing a good of supporting SVG and promoting Open Standards.
>

>  I think that the priorities that Firefox has set were pretty important.

Sure, I'd almost agree but I think Mozilla Seamonkey could have met almost
all those same priorities but a change of branding may have made it
marginally easier.  I doubt it was entirely necessary, but there is no way
to prove it either way.

> There have been tools to view SVG in Firefox from at least 0.9, so making

Not in official stable builds.  Extentensions dont count either, otherwise
we might have to consider the feeble efforts from Microsoft as acceptable.

> and not a memory hog.  And, AFAIK, Opera still isn't open source - it's free

Open source or open standards?  I know I'd prefer Open Source but
experience has shown me that badly documented open source is far inferior
implementation is not Open source).

> more attention than Opera or SeaMonkey.

> That all being said, I still stand by my orginial statement that the Open
> Clip Art Library has little, if any, to do with web browsers, and since
> Mozilla hasn't contributed directly to OCAL, there's little reason to
> promote it on the main page.

It is all very subjective and there is room enough in the wiki for all
projects which make the effort to support SVG.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

Inkscape http://inkscape.org
Abiword http://www.abisource.com