[Clipart] Re: openclipart.org hacked? what happened???

Nicu Buculei nicu at apsro.com
Tue Feb 28 00:46:49 PST 2006

Jon Phillips wrote:

> Actually, the site is down, as I just found out, because pdx saw that
> our site was peaking out over 2-3 days from too many downloads and they
> thought it is/was possibly serving warez so they shut down. Daniel Stone
> is looking into...

Can we convince them somehow the next time our website will be blocked
to inform us somehow, bugzilla, email, so we can investigate the problem
in a reasonable time? Even informing after the fact is better than the
current situation, when we find this by trial and error one week later.

> You all can help by looking through the log file and seeing what the
> deal. I'm hopeful that someone is either: a.) downloading from us in
> bulk b.) a bot is downloading in bulk

I browsed *all* the subdirectories under clipart_web and i am pretty
confident there is nothing looking like warez - i.e. large files
(usually in an archived format, rar or zip, nor mp3, avi, mpg)

A wild guess: is possible the increased traffic was due to cchost
serving instead of thumbnails full size images scaled from html? I guess
will should find out this by looking in the logs.

> Anyhow, the log is viewable here:
>
> /var/log/apache2/clipart.freedesktop.org-access.log.1

I asked more than once on this list if f.d.o. provides any log analyzer,
is situations like this such a tool would be useful, even if it is
something simple like Webalizer.

--
nicu