[Clipart] Re: [Inkscape-devel] Proposal: Merging Open Clipart Library into Inkscape

Bryce Harrington bryce at bryceharrington.org
Sat Jul 8 19:50:34 PDT 2006

On Sat, Jul 08, 2006 at 07:34:37PM -0300, bulia byak wrote:
> On 7/8/06, Bryce Harrington <bryce at bryceharrington.org> wrote:
> > The idea has been floated to merge OCAL back into Inkscape.
>
> What happened to the idea of making it wiki-like, so that users can do
> most of the sorting work themselves? If this is still planned, will
> the merge with Inkscape help it or harm it?

This is the ccHost app I referred to earlier.  It's great - the program
works and is being maintained by creative commons; it needs to be
adapted for use with clipart.

I think the merge with Inkscape will help it in several ways.  First,
since we can probably find ways to use it for Inkscape for other kinds
of contributions besides just clipart (e.g. palettes, screenshots, about
screen submissions, etc.), the effort of setting it up will pay off more
greatly.  Second, being part of Inkscape will hopefully bring in more
technically-oriented participants who will be able to help in augmenting
and administering the tool.

Of course, running ccHost on SourceForge would probably be a nightmare;
much worse than the issues we've had with mediawiki.  But since Inkscape
will be moving the website to a new host, this will hopefully not be an
issue.  And of course, worst case is, we'd just run it on
freedesktop.org.