[Clipart] Re: [Inkscape-devel] Proposal: Merging Open Clipart Library into Inkscape

Bryce Harrington bryce at bryceharrington.org
Sun Jul 9 20:17:15 PDT 2006

On Sun, Jul 09, 2006 at 10:52:51AM +0300, Spyros Blanas wrote:
> I haven't fully understood what you mean when you say 'merge OCAL in
> Inkscape'. If you mean simply to provide a bundled clipart library with
> inkscape (like most drawing programs have) I agree completely to that.
>
> If this is the case, we could also easily create a new tool which will
> show a preview of all the cliparts and will insert a selected one into
> the current drawing. Such tool would make Inkscape easier to use for
> diagram drawing, for example.
>
> However, it is clear that when you say merging you also refer to OCAL
> infrastructure (like ccHost). Did you actually mean that the Inkscape
> team will take responsibility for OCAL and host it as well?

Correct, the whole project would merge.  We can continue to provide
"http://www.openclipart.org" as a redirect to the appropriate area of
the Inkscape site, so links don't break and such.  But the mailing list,
IRC channels, CVS modules, and file downloads would be moved over into
the Inkscape infrastructure.  The bugs in OCAL's bugzilla would be moved
into Inkscape's tracker.  The openclipart wiki would get moved into the
Inkscape wiki.  Whatever portions of the openclipart.org site that don't
get moved into ccHost, would be merged into the inkscape website.