[Clipart] reduce file size for png-files

Jonadab the Unsightly One jonadab at bright.net
Tue Mar 21 06:38:36 PST 2006

Alan Horkan <horkana at maths.tcd.ie> writes:

> My point is if someone does decide to take the advice and compress
> things further please consider the decision carefully (and maybe I
> should consider that I am far more tired than I realised, hope you
> get the gist of what I'm trying to say).

At this point, it seems to me much more important to get cchost to
generate or use thumbnails _at all_.  Currently all it does is tell
the browser (in the HTML) that it should scale down the image on the
client side, which is an *enormous* waste of bandwidth.  If we're ever
going to be able to actually *use* cchost, for more than just testing,
this really is going to have to be fixed.

The ideal, IMO, would be to store a thumbnail for every image, rather
than generate it each time.  There's a tradeoff here of storage versus
other system resources, but it seems to me that a given image may be
previewed fairly frequently, so storing a thumbnail would be a win.

If we once get it storing and using thumbnails, _then_ we could worry
about optimizing them, automatically generating them on first use, and
so on.

--
Open Clip Art Library:  Drawing Together
http://www.openclipart.org/