[Clipart] what is the max filesize I can upload?

Alan Horkan horkana at maths.tcd.ie
Sun Nov 19 14:20:53 PST 2006

On Sun, 19 Nov 2006, momo wrote:

> Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 01:58:12 +0100
> From: momo <momo at lumenstudio.net>
> To: Fred & Amy Lovern <platypuscove at cox.net>
> Cc: clipart at lists.freedesktop.org
> Subject: Re: [Clipart] what is the max filesize I can upload?
>
> Thanks for the information! :)
>
> I have then 2 suggestions:

> - the maximum file size should be indicated in the upload form (or even

good point.  hopefully it could also link to an explanation of the policy
and even basic instructions on how to check file sizes or use compression.

> - the maximum file size should be increased, because 300 Kb is way too
> small. Any somehow complicated clipart is generally bigger than 300Kb.
> Increasing the max filesize to 1Mb is not a bad idea IMO.

It is always good when a project has people lurking around who can still
remember why things were done the way they were so that things can change
for good reason or stay the same if the original assumptions remain true.
(Far as I can tell this applies to just about every large organisation.)

In this case the small size limit was due to the fact that individual
clipart should be small.  Artworks of course can be more complicated
but reusable peices of clipart should not be all that big, and often they
should be simple and represent concepts.  I'm not sure if the discussion
at the time was also presuming people would use SVGZ for larger files.
Now that openclipart is more successful moving beyond the early goals and
stretching the definition of clipart might be more acceptable but I hope
people will reconsider the original ideas before making any changes.

Perhaps the upload size does need to be increased, 500kb might be a more
modest increase for starters and explaining the reasons for this might
also be a good idea.  (Also the secondary reason of preventing abuse of
the system would need to be mentioned as the screenshot upload has been
abused/misused in the past.)

--
Alan