[Clipart] idea for clipart requests and implementation

Gerald Ganson Gerald.Ganson at rdc.ab.ca
Mon Oct 2 07:50:39 PDT 2006

I've been thinking for quite some time now that we should encourage
people to upload bitmaps of their clipart that they wish to donate to
public domain. There are probably a lot of artists out there who work in
bitmaps, or draw on paper and then scan.

We could include more of these folks in the project, and encourage them,
by having a method and location to submit these. Knowing that not
everyone will always be made into a vector for the collection, but many
may be. I think it would be fun, and productive too.

I have done this with a few already, where I downloaded a PNG from
ABIclip, and vectorized, added colour, cleaned up, and edited to my
tastes, then re-uploaded to OpenClipart in SVG.  I claim credit only for
the SVG, and the original illustrator as the artist. (ABI in this case)

Perhaps there is a way to formalize this credit process too.
Illustration by..., and vectorization by...

Gerald G.