[Clipart] idea for clipart requests and implementation

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Mon Oct 2 11:32:28 PDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-02 at 08:50 -0600, Gerald Ganson wrote:
> I've been thinking for quite some time now that we should encourage
> people to upload bitmaps of their clipart that they wish to donate to
> public domain. There are probably a lot of artists out there who work in
> bitmaps, or draw on paper and then scan.

This is true...I think though that if we take these, we should have a
limit on what they can send in terms of size, that its a request and not
a full submission to our system, and the idea is for them or someone
else to remake it as a vector graphic.

> We could include more of these folks in the project, and encourage them,
> by having a method and location to submit these. Knowing that not
> everyone will always be made into a vector for the collection, but many
> may be. I think it would be fun, and productive too.

Yep, I really think we have to keep our goal of being an SVG collection
in focus and that allowing bitmaps is for requests and ideas ONLY and
nothing more. We don't have the resources to support bitmap uploads nor
will distros include our overly bloated packages with bitmap as well.

> I have done this with a few already, where I downloaded a PNG from
> ABIclip, and vectorized, added colour, cleaned up, and edited to my
> tastes, then re-uploaded to OpenClipart in SVG.  I claim credit only for
> the SVG, and the original illustrator as the artist. (ABI in this case)

Awesome, we just have to be sure that everything is in public domain.

> Perhaps there is a way to formalize this credit process too.
> Illustration by..., and vectorization by...

Cool...I think that ccHost really sorts this out and by showing the
lineage of a piece of art. I think there are enough tools in place to
support this type of tagging, etc. Maybe when vectorization happens, we
should include the tags: vectorize, trace

And if its an illustration, tag as illustration.

Jon