[Clipart] Does openclipart.org have invalid SVG content?

Alan Horkan horkana at maths.tcd.ie
Sat Oct 7 08:42:47 PDT 2006

On Fri, 6 Oct 2006, Ruud Steltenpool (svg.startpagina.nl) wrote:

> Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 23:02:12 +0200
> From: "Ruud Steltenpool (svg.startpagina.nl)" <svg at steltenpower.com>
> To: clipart at lists.freedesktop.org
> Subject: [Clipart] Does openclipart.org have  invalid SVG content?
>
> I've coded something that filters 'extra' namespaces out, to not choke
> the W3 validator (also add &doctype=SVG+1.1 to circumvent "error: no
> doctype"). I used that to validate a whole lot of openclipart.org
> content.  Please tell me whether something is wrong with my result, the
> W3 validator, or the SVG content. Let's fix SVG content on the web.
> I sent rejon the PHPcode that did this, so the rest of openclipart.org
> can be checked and to introduce a "only valid content will be added" policy?

I think only allowing valid content might be a little too strict.  A quick
sampling of those files showed me they had a lot of sodipoid bits in them.
Opening and resaving using a recent version of Inkscape will probably fix
most of the problems.  In the case of OpenClipart I think we may have a
few issues with particular authoring tools which might need to be fixed,
rather than expecting users to necessarily know or understand why their
file might be problematic.

http://www.openclipart.org/guidelines.php
I'd like to add to add a note to the guidelines about saving for "best
compatibility", which really means telling Inkscape users to save as
"Plain SVG".  Unfortunately the best compatibility option in Adobe
Illustrator rasterizes a lot of things and embeds them as images but
there are better intermediate options and the advice does generally apply.

--
Alan