[Clipart] RE: Requests wiki page

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Mon Oct 30 01:11:11 PST 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-30 at 09:51 +0200, Nicu Buculei (OCAL) wrote:
> Jon Phillips wrote:
> > On Fri, 2006-10-27 at 09:43 -0600, Gerald Ganson wrote:
> >>
> >> 1: Tauntaun(!) clipart
> >>
> >> This is a StarWars animal character, and I wonder if we can place an
> >> image of one into the public domain ? Any thoughts on this concept ?
> >
> > Hmmm...this is a good question...I don't think we should include it, but
> > then how could a distro include a picture of an ipod to use when one is
> > loaded.
>
> Look at this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Taun_taun.png
>
> Author 	Lucas, Jr.; George W., McQuarrie; Ralph, Tippett; Philip
> Permission United States patent illustration - public domain
>
> I would venture to say we are free to draw such animals, even with a
> traced version (attached)

Whoooooaaaaa...this breaks open an even large issue....Are all US patent
illustrations public domain???? This would be huge!

Yes, in light of this illustration, I think its fine to create something
similar to this...this is arguable because there is a PD version of
it...

San Francisco, CA
USA PH 510.499.0894
jon at rejon.org