[Clipart] Re: clipart Digest, Vol 31, Issue 44

John Olsen johnny_automatic at mac.com
Mon Oct 30 13:19:07 PST 2006

 >Whoooooaaaaa...this breaks open an even large issue....Are all US patent
>illustrations public domain???? This would be huge!
>
>Yes, in light of this illustration, I think its fine to create something
>similar to this...this is arguable because there is a PD version of
>it...
>
>Jon
>
>--
>Jon Phillips

I'm no lawyer, but my understanding is YES, all U.S. Patent illustrations are PD.  They cannot be copyrighted.  On the other hand, I wonder if any image of a trademarked character can be used in this way.  For example, if I invent a Mickey Mouse clock,  the image submitted to the Patent Office might well be PD, but the trademark on Mickey Mouse would almost certainly trump that.  Seems like a fuzzy area.

John Olsen