[Clipart] SOAP interface / API?

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Thu Feb 1 22:10:14 PST 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-01 at 16:19 -0800, Open Clip Art Library Feedback Form
wrote:
> Name: Jon Bolt
> E-mail: jon at wordescapes.co.uk
>

> Hi
>
> I am thinking of developing a GNOME client for a university project
> for Linux which will interface to the openclipart.org site so that
> users can search and preview the clipart from their desktop, then
> download the images to use as they will. This is basically to improve
> the useability of looking for clipart by allowing the user to stay
> within their desktop environment.
>
> I was wondering if there is an API or some kind of SOAP interface
> where the desktop application can search and retrieve images from the
> openclipart.org servers.
>
> This will be a completly open source application. If there is an API
> available for openclipart, please could you point me in the direction
> of any avaialble documention
>
> Thanks
> Jon

Hi Jon, there is one effort to do this called the clipart browser. I'm
cc'ing the author of that application, Greg Steffensen.

Also, our engine, ccHost, has an api for searching content:

http://ccmixter.org/media/viewfile/pool_api_doc.xml

Anyway, this sounds fun, but hopefully you can build off of already
existing code to save time and help the project.

Also, there is more documentation here:

http://openclipart.org/wiki/Clip_Art_Browser

Hopefully, if you do any coding on something new, please do it in C/C++
so we can make it portable and fast :)

Good luck and hop onto our mailing list to discuss it more!

San Francisco, CA
USA PH 510.499.0894
jon at rejon.org
http://www.rejon.org